Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Motivation



















Motivation is literally the desire to do things. It's the difference between waking up before dawn to pound the pavement and lazing around the house all day. It's the crucial element in setting and attaining goals—and research shows you can influence your own levels of motivation and self-control. So figure out what you want, power through the pain period, and start being who you want to be. [source]

Weekend recap:
Saturday's WOD was a fitness test.
500m row
40 squats
30 sit ups
20 push ups
10 pull ups (strict with bands, if no kipping)

I did pretty well, finishing at 5:18. The pull ups slowed me down but I did all other movements unbroken. From this workout, I noticed I need to practice push ups from my toes more.

Sunday is usually a rest day for the HEWers; but whenever we miss a day, my mood swings go for a ride on a rollercoaster. I am uncontrolably mean and unreasonable; all of my energy is stored and though I'm supposed to be at rest, I get restless. (Note to self: must elaborate on mood swings at a later time). Danny knows this about me and so we decided to do our own workout at the high school track next to our house. After arguing again that a track is 400 meters, we warmed up and completed a movement per station at every 100meters:
100m run
10 pushups
100m run
15 v ups
100m run
20 squats
100m run
30 sec plank hold
 

I was able to complete two rounds while Danny completed three. I'm so proud of that man.


Fitness test: I'm the one in blue, encouraging Danny



High school track by our house!
































I'd like to know... if you were to go on a trip or for any other reason are unable to attend your box at one point, what will motivate you to complete a road WOD? Outside of the camaraderie of a class or your coaches, what do you use as a motivation?

Fear of failure and hard work wasted. That is motivation enough for me.



3 comments:

  1. Nancy, I can really relate to this posting. I told Chris recently how the benefits of HEW have been mental for me. I have seen the greatest changes in my mood and peace. When I do not do something active for a day or two I worry for everyone around me. It is amazing that Danny is supportive as well. Great read and your progress is inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! Thanks Monica! I look forward in trading in some stories with you!

    ReplyDelete