Friday, July 12, 2013

A falling out with lethargy and coffee


(Disclaimer: a found journal entry from the past prompts future goals)

It is 9:00am – and I have been awake since 2:45am. That’s almost six hours, similarly 12 episodes of a sitcom marathon or a nonstop drive from Boynton Beach, Florida to Savannah, Georgia. About half of this six was a lose-lose battle with insomnia and here I am, sleep-deprived and caffeine-infused.

According to a study, sleep loss leads to anxiety and poor food choices. The study used MRI scans to show how sleep deprivation impairs regions of the brain where food choices are made. Lack of sleep significantly impaired the frontal lobe, which controls behavior and decision-making. (SOURCE)

I’m so flippin’ screwed.

Fortunately, the lack of sleep is temporary … I hope.

Reading about the study is interesting, however, and I have to be cognizant today to make the best choices, food-wise. Considering I’ve missed Breakfast 1 and 2 already makes me a statistic – but I digress. The day is young …


To update, I did make poor choices that day and I constantly have to be reminded about my sleep habits by the next day's regret. More importantly, this blast from the past journal entry made me realize that I want to wean off coffee, scratch that … I want to quit coffee cold turkey. I’ve noticed that I rely on it in the morning, and now Mr. Coffee wants to hang out again come the afternoon. Sure, I’ve cut out dairy and only used almond milk, no sugar. But catching some Zs is worth the divorce with the stimulant. Next week, we’ll part our ways.

Which segues into my next thought: GOALS. I need to set aside fitness goals!
  1. Divorce from coffee – start 7.15.13, update in two weeks
  2.  Complete a WOD with Rx Push-ups – end date: 8.10.13
  3.  Run another 5K marathon – date pending
  4. Kipping pull-ups
  5. Double unders

As I make this list I’ve noticed that I am a little embarrassed that I still can’t complete more than one kipping pull-up nor am I close to five consecutive double unders. And it’s purely because I don’t put any extra effort into them. That’s why I need GOALS! That’s why we all need goals.



GOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLs.

No comments:

Post a Comment